In order to achieve your weight loss goals, you need to get enough sleep. Here are a few suggestions on how to get more sleep or improve the sleep you're getting:
1. Cut down on caffeine consumption in the late afternoon and evening.
2. Do not smoke or use any other products with nicotine before bed (better yet... quit using products with nicotine!).
3. Create a "noise-free" sleeping environment.
4. Create a sleep-friendly bedroom (comfortable linens and pillows, dark shades, cool bedroom).
5. Drink fewer drinks after dinner to minimize trips to the bathroom.
6. Attempt to deal with stressful issues during the day and put them away at night.
7. Set a regular time to go to sleep and a consistent time to wake up. Keep to this schedule!
8. Avoid bringing work projects (i.e. laptop, BlackBerry, iPhone, etc) and personal paperwork to bed.
9. Avoid bringing food to bed.
10. Limit naps to a maximum of 30 minutes and try to take naps earlier in the day.
All of these tips can be applied to your kids as well (except for number 10).
Try some of these out if you're having trouble sleeping, and let me know how it goes!